Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Introducing The New Faces of BOCA: Jay Zarate



Say hello to Jay Zarate, BOCA’s newest assistant account executive!

A jack-of-all-trades, Jay has experience working in social media, advertising and graphic design. After graduating with a business marketing and management degree from Sonoma State, Jay moved back to the Bay Area drawn by the technology buzz and endless opportunities.

1. How would your friends and family describe you?
They would describe me as reliable. I always want to be the type of person anyone could go to when they need help with anything. Outgoing is another one. I love meeting new people and talking to them. I would also say driven because ever since I was a kid I had a goal to graduate college and I never looked back. Now I’m just trying to find my place in the world. Finally, for fun I like to play basketball as a shooting guard and enjoy videogames like Super Smash Bros.

2. How did you hear about BOCA and what are your job duties?
I first heard about BOCA from Alivia Snyder, one of our account executives. We knew each other from Sonoma State University where we experienced Greek life together.

As for my job responsibilities, I keep up to date on the latest industry trends for clients. I also help manage weekly reports, update media lists, manage award opportunities and coordinate media meetings so accounts can run smoothly. I’ve started pitching more reporters too, which I think is pretty cool. I was also excited to get a chance to go to Dreamforce this year. Working at BOCA is a new challenge for me, and I find it incredibly rewarding.

3. If you could be an animal for a day what would you be?
I would love to be a cute dog. Just because everyone loves a cute dog, and a bunch of people comes up to pet you all the time. They also feed you, like to get their picture taken with you and always want to hang out with you. And you don’t have to do stuff either. You just get to sit there and have someone rub your belly, sleep and do whatever you want. A dog’s life is great.

4. What’s your favorite food?
Oh man. If I had to pick one, it has to be chicken wings. I love my chicken wings. Lemon pepper is my favorite especially from Wingstop.

5. Where would you like to travel?
Everywhere. One thing I really want to do is see every NBA arena in the US. There are 30, and to see all of them would be pretty cool.

6. Which famous person would you like to have a 30-minute conversation with?
Stephen Curry. He’s my favorite basketball player. I idolize my game around him. I’ve followed him since college, and he’s a very hard worker. He is also very driven too, even though he’s short, not very athletic or the quickest guy. Everyone always said he couldn’t make it in the NBA, but that didn’t stop him. He stuck with it and continued to work hard until he made it. Now he’s one of the best point guards in the NBA.

I try to be the same way, and I would love to speak with him and pick his brain. Especially about basketball for one thing, and then to hear more about his journey and struggles to get to where he is today. Criticism is the type of thing you get with every job and life in general. To hear from him about he how he dealt with people telling him things like you can never make it and how he proved them wrong is inspiring to me. Criticism can hurt, and I want to learn how to be tougher with that mentally.

No comments: